Research & Development
Today’s Engineering Department has been transformed from Research & Development Centre – established in the sixties of the previous century – into the organisation that meets the latest aviation and quality regulations as well as individual requirements of the Users of final products, that is the helicopters. Also, Engineering is the approved Design Organisation in accordance with PART 21 Subpart J.
The main tasks of Engineering Department cover assurance of innovativeness and the required safety level for the helicopter configurations designed at PZL-Świdnik. This is carried out via modernisation and innovative research and development activities.
Engineering comprises highly qualified engineering and research staff with wide spectrum of competence and experience who:
- prepare new technical solutions for the helicopter design,
- validate new technical solutions for fatigue, ground and flight tests,
- certify new technical solutions in international aviation agencies for compliance with the applicable aviation law,
- initiate and coordinate research and development projects,
- actively participate in development of helicopter technique as regards new design solutions and new materials in aviation industry.
The structure of Engineering covers design and computation centres, engineering laboratory and flight test department. Engineering broadly cooperates with production organisations and sub-suppliers of design and production services.
Performance of research and development activities is a complex issue and often requires extra involvement, experience, extensive technical and managerial knowledge on project management, patience and determination.
The most important projects carried out under research and development activities at PZL-Świdnik cover:
- Project of new main rotor blades,
- Project of main rotor blade leading edge attachment optimisation,
- Project of helicopter vibration reduction system optimisation,
- Project of MR blade droop stops,
- Helicopter upgrading to maritime version.
- Project of SW-4 SOLO helicopter in unmanned RUAS/OPH version – the first flight without a pilot on board took place at the end of 2017,
- Project extending the scope of operating capabilities of W-4 SOLO RUAS/OPH helicopter in unmanned version – patrol flights based on observation, radar and data link system,
- Project of increasing service life and reliability of helicopter components,
- Project of new vibration damping system.
OTHER R + D PROJECTS
- HELIMARIS – project of adapting the optionally piloted helicopter for performance of sea missions with possibility of landing onto the vessel board,
- ROLAND - project of adaptive helicopter wheel landing gear and electrical landing gear retractable system.
OTHER COOPERATION ACTIVITIES
- TREKKER - project of skid landing gear for A109S helicopter under cooperation with Leonardo Helicopters,
- Fatigue tests of helicopter structures: AW101, AW139, AW159, AW169, AW189 and AW609 under cooperation with Leonardo Helicopters.